Folks,

Hey Folks,

I've written a script to generate a list of all files on a machine,
then zip the results.  Im going to use it to audit some file servers.
The problem is that the ZIP compression/decrompression isn't working,
but its not what you might think.  The script completes, but seems to
not actually write anything.

Here is a short version that only looks at the C:/temp drive.  You can
change this at the top.

---Start Code Here--
require 'find'
require 'csv'
require 'zlib'

tempfile = "temp.csv"
outfile  = "out.zip"
dirname = "c:/temp"

# Prepare comma-delimited file for writing
CSV::Writer.generate(File.open(tempfile,"w+"), ',') do |csv|
      Find.find(dirname) do |f|
	  csv << [File.dirname(f), File.basename(f), File.mtime(f).to_s]

# TEST: View the tempfile to make sure it has data.
#  This prints nothing, but the file DOES have info after
# the script completes.  Maybe the file isn't written at this point?
p IO.read(tempfile)

Zlib::GzipWriter.open(outfile) do |gz|
  gz << File.open(tempfile).read
end

Zlib::GzipReader.open(outfile) {|gz|
  print gz.read
}

# The ZIP file can't be extracted with WINZIP.  No idea why, but since
# I'll be using another RUBY script for extraction, im not sure that I
care.