Hey Jeff,
There have been two rubyquizzes (is that really the plural?) on that:http://rubyquiz.com/quiz35.htmlhttp://rubyquiz.com/quiz36.html
You should also check RAA and rubyforge for that.http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=chesshttp://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=chess&Search=Search
Hope that helps you a bit :)
~~~~manveru
On 3/16/06, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:> Jeff Cohen wrote:> > I'm a beginning chess player and a beginning Ruby developer :-)  I was> > wondering if there's a Ruby chess engine somewhere.> >> > I thought it might be interested to read the code and see if I get> > better at Ruby, or chess, or both.> >> > I'm also interested to see if the Ruby code is more understandable - in> > the past I tried to understand C and Java engines without much luck.> >> > If you've heard of some kind of chess engine written in Ruby, could you> > let me know?>> I don't know of one, but the idea is interesting.>> It might not be practical because of speed. Most chess algorithms> are very search-intensive.>> Now, one thing I've thought about but will never have the time to> implement -- make it a distributed application (with drb) so that> the work can be split among different machines.>> Now *that* would be interesting. And if you throw enough boxes> at it, you eliminate the speed issue. You could in theory produce> a distributed chess app in Ruby that was "as fast" as a non-> distributed one in C.>> Just a thought.>>> Cheers,> Hal>>>