"Tom Malone" <tom / tom-malone.com> wrote in message
news:eD%67.13347$4v6.1114615 / e420r-atl3.usenetserver.com...
> Someone please tell me if this is an inappropriate question for this
list -
> I don't want to irritate or offend anyone here.
> What is the benefit of a true object-oriented language (Ruby), in which
> everything is an object, as opposed to, say (arbitrarily) a language that
is
> not strictly object-oriented (yet is still popular) like Java?
>
> Forgive the newbie his ignorance  =)

You might want to look over the following paper:

    What is an Object-Oriented Programming Language?
    http://www.research.att.com/~kfisher/files/whatis.ps

    Abstract:
    http://www.research.att.com/~kfisher/abstracts.html/#Whatis

From:
    http://www.research.att.com/~kfisher/publications.html

--
-- Dave S. [ http://www.smallscript.net ]
   Smalltalk for the AOS Platform and The Microsoft.NET Framework