------art_72_16311505.1142477020658

On 3/15/06, Glenn Smith <glenn.ruby / gmail.com> wrote:
> I think what would be nice to achieve from all this is that when Matz and
> his gang release a new version of Ruby, somebody could either take this code
> and  compile it using a HOW-TO, or for people who don't want to have the
> hassle, quickly download a pre-compiled version.  This doesn't have to be
> anything fancy, such as Curt's installer, just a zip-file which you extract
> and there you are - a basic c:\ruby structure (or wherever).  Perhaps a
> short PDF or HTML file in the root with a "getting started".  It might be
> sensible to try to get rubygems integrated into this somehow but maybe not
> immediately.

Ok here's my contribution - I hope it is helpful:

I don't know what to do except follow Wilson's instructions if you
don't already have a working compiler.  But if you already have a
commercial VisualStudio .NET, there should already be a vsvars32.bat
under ...\Common7\Tools.  There will probably also be a shortcut to it
called "Visual Studio Command Prompt" in the program menu under
VisualStudio .Net Tools.  So to compile ruby for yourself:

1) Download and unzip the ruby source
2) run vsvars.bat
3) then in that command prompt run the attached batch file
>buildruby.bat SOURCE_DIR [ INSTALL_DIR [ BUILD_DIR ] ]

where SOURCE_DIR is the path to the source
(<unzip_location>\Ruby-1.8.4 if you got the latest stable version) and
INSTALL_DIR is the location you want ruby to go.  They must be
different directories.  The intermediate files go into BUILD_DIR,
which defaults to INSTALL_DIR/Build if you don't specify it.  All
these paths can be absolute or relative.  SOURCE_DIR must exist and
contain ruby source,  but the other two will be created if they don't
exist.

4) change to INSTALL_DIR and type ruby -v.

Tada!

This is tested with Visual Studio .NET and Visual Studio .NET 2003, on
Windows XP and
Windows 2000.  Please let me know if you find any issues with it.  I'd
especially like to know if it works after following Wilson's
instructions to the point of creating vsvars.bat.

-Adam

------art_72_16311505.1142477020658

@echo off
REM -- buildruby.bat
REM -- by Adam Shelly
REM -- Builds Ruby from source, with Microsoft VisualStudio .NET
REM -- Tested on Windows XP and Windows 2000, with VS .NET and VS .NET 2003

IF "%1" ""  goto exitusage
set SDIR

  SET IDIR
D% ) ELSE ( SET IDIR ) IF "%3" "" ( SET BDIRDIR%\Build ) ELSE ( SET BDIR ) IF NOT EXIST "%SDIR%" goto exitmissing IF NOT EXIST "%SDIR%\win32\configure.bat" goto exitmissing IF NOT EXIST "%IDIR%" MKDIR %IDIR% IF NOT EXIST "%BDIR%" MKDIR %BDIR% for %%D in (%SDIR%) DO set SDIR~fsD for %%E in (%IDIR%) DO set IDIR~fsE IF %IDIR% %SDIR% goto exitsamedir SET IDIRDIR:\ pushd %BDIR% call %SDIR%\win32\configure.bat nmake if NOT %ERRORLEVEL 0 goto exiterror nmake test if NOT %ERRORLEVEL 0 goto exiterror nmake DESTDIRDIR% install if NOT %ERRORLEVEL 0 goto exiterror goto exitbat :exitusage echo USAGE: %0 SOURCE_DIR [ INSTALL_DIR [ BUILD_DIR ] ] echo - echo builds the ruby code located in SOURCE_DIR echo puts results to INSTALL_DIR (default echo performs build in BUILD_DIR (defaultSTALL_DIR\build) exit /b 1 :exitmissing echo ERROR: %SDIR% not found, or win32\configure.bat is not present there exit /b 2 :exitsamedir echo ERROR: SOURCE_DIR cannot be the same as INSTALL_DIR (%SDIR%) exit /b 3 :exiterror echo error in nmake: %ERRORLEVEL% :exitbat popd exit /b ------art_72_16311505.1142477020658--