On 3/15/06, johntwinn / gmail.com <johntwinn / gmail.com> wrote:
> What I am concerning about is the Id field in RoR and having it change
> the datamodel. As other application are using it, is it possible to
> have RoR integrate directly with an exisitng data schema without
> changing it ? All the tutorials sort of do DB development when writing
> the web application.

Yes, this is definitely possible. Check out the API docs on
ActiveRecord[1], specifically the set_primary_key[2] class method.
Example:

  class Project < ActiveRecord::Base
    set_primary_key "legacy_id"
  end

Jacob Fugal

(PS. For future reference, these questions are much better directed at
the Rails specific mailing list[3])

[1] http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html
[2] http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#M000741