"Patrick Chanezon" <chanezon / gmail.com> writes:
> One topic that I haven't seen covered anywhere and would find useful is a
> mapping between java and ruby libraries, organised by application domain,
> and their differences in functional coverage: java is more than a language,
> it's a platform and people spend more time learning libraries than the core
> language.

Right.  The problem I have is that I'm, as I said, much more of a
Perl/Ruby guy than a java one; they'll know standard (and useful,
nonstandard) libraries better than I will.

> One common question for a java developer starting ruby is: in java I would
> use this lib to perform that task, what should I use in ruby?
> I guess we should have a wiki page with that.

That would be useful.  I'm giving the talk on Tuesday, though (I
volunteered as a last-minute replacement for the regular speaker who
had to cancel), so if someone has information like that, I can use it,
but I don't think I have time to develop it on my own.

-=Eric