Just checking.. do you know about this page?
http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/
They release new stable versions of Ruby there, very quickly after an
official release comes out. They are built with Visual Studio, and
come packaged in a zip file.
I agree that it could use some extra documentation and publicity,
though.  Curt's installer is nice, but contains more software than
many people need.