------art_2037_24375159.1142459351912

I think what would be nice to achieve from all this is that when Matz and
his gang release a new version of Ruby, somebody could either take this code
and  compile it using a HOW-TO, or for people who don't want to have the
hassle, quickly download a pre-compiled version.  This doesn't have to be
anything fancy, such as Curt's installer, just a zip-file which you extract
and there you are - a basic c:\ruby structure (or wherever).  Perhaps a
short PDF or HTML file in the root with a "getting started".  It might be
sensible to try to get rubygems integrated into this somehow but maybe not
immediately.

I think there is genuine benefit in making this available to the wider world
so that more people will at the very least get to have a look at Ruby who
may not have bothered when all they see is a tar.gz without too much in the
way of Windows help.  Like it or not, plenty of Windows users out there...!
It seems a small but important step forward.  I'm certainly not trying to
take away Curt's job (unless he wants me to!) - there is definitely in my
view a place for the one-click installer with all of it's goodies, but for
many a basic ruby install would suffice and for others they could take this
install and build on it with ruby gems and so on to create their preferred
environment.

I'm not sure *how* I can help at this point, but if I can then I will, now
and in the future.   I would like to find a way to help the community in
some way, just not sure where my niche is at the moment.

--

All the best
Glenn

------art_2037_24375159.1142459351912--