> Any idea what might be wrong?  I've tried adding the
> /home/ruby/lib/ruby/1.6/i386-cygwin/fox.so to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH but
> this didn't help.  I don't think this is a cywgin1.dll clash because
> all the other cygwin commands are working fine and ruby seems to be
> working fine in all other respects.  It seems to be able to find the
> library but there is an error in loading it...

<sigh>

This may be the last straw that drives me to take a look at Ruby's code for
error messages. There's no telling what "Error 127" means, is there?

You shouldn't need to add anything to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH; Ruby should be
able to find that directory just fine. You may have to break down and build
it (FOX and FXRuby) from the source code if you aren't using it with the
regular Ruby 1.6 installer for Windows. I don't know why you'd get a Cygwin
clash with FXRuby and not the others, unless it's because FXRuby uses the
C++ library (whereas all of the standard Ruby extensions are C only) -- but
that's a stretch.