I know you were kidding, but I felt like sending an e-mail, so..
A more fair comparison would be a set of Ruby build instructions for a
Linux distro that didn't ship with a package manager or a copy of GCC.
 Highly nontrivial.

That being said, Windows is a crazy pain in the rear.  If someone with
more build experience (like Austin) can shave some steps out of my
writeup, I'd be happy to learn something new.  It would be nice if the
platform SDK license didn't prevent redistribution.  Then someone
could make a self-contained build process for Ruby on win32.
Luckily, the mswin32 distribution of Ruby is kept up to date, and most
people never have a real need to build their own.