Austin Ziegler wrote:

> No. Of the choices, MSYS/MINGW is going to work most like Unix. MSVC6
> is no longer available for legal download. But...
>
> VS.NET (2002 & 2003) & VS (2005) use a later MSVC runtime DLL (7, 7.1,
> and 8.0) that are different than the MSVC6 runtime DLL. The MSVC8 DLL
> is significantly different even than VS.NET (7, 7.1).
>

> I am also working, in fits and starts, on compile instructions for cl
> 14 (VS 2005) with the currently-free Express version. This will be
> something that ultimately can go through the entire Ruby build process
> and build something like the one-click installer for you.
>

> -austin

This sounds pretty complicated as a DIY solution or a project goal. I
certainly applaud your efforts in accomplishing this. Seeing that
Microsoft's runtime distros are a moving target it doesn't appear to be
a no-brainer for sure :-)

While exploring other programming languages I downloaded EiffelStudio
for Windows last month. This took awhile to download and certainly took
awhile to build, but the process was automated and required little
interaction on the enduser's part. If I am not mistaken the
installation routine actually pulled in its own Borland C Compiler
directory tree to do the build. Since BCC was packaged within the
installation routine all of the compiler/linker environmental
conditions were inherently set. Not that I particularly found Eiffel to
be an enjoyable language, but at least the installation/build on
Windows was a no-brainer.