On 3/14/06, Andreas <inf262 / fh-worms.de> wrote:> I don't get it guys. Supporting (not exclusively using) Unicode> transparently should be a no-brainer for a serious programming language> these days. I love Ruby but multi-byte string is a pain. And they are> everywhere. There's no logic in resisting. There are more chars in the> world than on your keyboard. Even in the US, there are official and> *correct * chars for quotation marks nit in the US_ASCII set. Using the> inch-sign for quotes is plain wrong. Come on, we're in th 21st century> and the world is a global place. OpenSource people should know that> best. It can't be so difficult technically - others do it, why can't> you?>> All we want is a Unicode safe Ruby.
You have it.
You'll have something even better in Ruby 2.0.
You will *not* have it natively in Ruby 1.8.
-austin--Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca