anibalrojas / gmail.com wrote:
> Lyle,
>
>    Regarding Artima's Ruby Buzz it's basic functionality its ok, but I
> suppose the ".jsp" in the URL gets resolved in a Java Server Page.
> That's ok for us, Java/J2EE is still paying our bills, but I think
> using Java is not a good way to promote Ruby ;-)

How about PHP? I believe it powers RubyForge.org.  Or is it Perl?

I'm a big fan of eating one's own dog food.  I try whenever possible to
use Ruby for Ruby sites.    But I wouldn't shun the Artima site because
Bill Venner uses Java (disclaimer: I edit an Artima-backed Ruby site
that is powered by, *gasp*, Java).

More important than the technology, I simply want to see more general
Ruby material put in front of more non-Rubyists.

>    I am not sure who decides what blogs to include in Planet Ruby, but
> with so many people getting interested in this language (most of them
> via Rails), many of them long time bloggers, and other just startting
> new blogs devoted only to this new technology... Why only take a look
> at 17 blogs? (Pretty good blogs, actually) But isn't limited?

I couldn't see he full list of what blogs were registered on RubyCorner.
  More than 17, I gather.

>    How do I distinguish RubyCorner form Artima's Ruby Buzz and Planet
> Ruby? Lets see...
>
>    People can register as user and blogger, they don't have to ask to
> be included.

Same as Artima's Ruby Buzz.  The downside, though, is the collection
includes a few blogs with only a smattering of Ruby content, and some
are written in languages I am unable to read.

> When you register a blog you can add a description, so if
> you take a look at:
>
>     http://www.rubycorner.com/blogs/registered
>
>     You can _quickly_ notice there is a blog from two guys with .NET
> background, other devoted only to Flash video manipulation and other
> written in spanish. I think that being able to take a quick look at the
> new blogs helps to find valuable resources and alike experiences.
>
>     But if so many people register, how is it going to work? Well,
> right now you can filter the recently updated blogs with your
> favorites, and only check those you like. And we will be adding tags,
> ranks, enhanced searchs, and many other features in the near future,
> trying to make RubyCorner a valuable resource.

Best of luck.

I tend not to use such sites; I prefer to select sites and follow them
through Bloglines; fewer intermediaries. I do not want to discourage
anyone from jumping in and offering a community resource.   I do think,
though, that questions of focus and differentiation are worth considering.

--
James Britt