Checking for feedback this morning on this thread I see that my post doesn't make a whole lot sense. Perhaps a rephrase will help
it out, as mentionend previously I wrote an init script installer. Currently you run it like:
   ruby install_init_script.rb myscriptname /path/to/where/script/should/be/run

This will create an /etc/init.d script which which utilizes the start-stop-daemon (i am on a debian system). It will handle
forking your program for you and it will run it in the background as a system daemon.

Right now that is all it does. I would like to have it wrap the script itself in code that generates the pid file for the user and
handles removing it etc.. I am thinking of doing something like:

   init_script_install( scriptname, path2scriptdir ) do |script, rootdir|
      ensure_script_exists rootdir + '/' + script
      create_and_install :initscript, :script=>script, :rootdir=>rootdir, :to => '/etc/init.d/'
      create_and_install :scriptwrapper, :script=>script
   end

Where the first 'create_and_install :initscript' creates the init script, and the second part creates a wrapper for it which
handles the creation and removal of the pid file. For the wrapper I think I need to either rename the original script, and put my
wrapper in it's place, then have my wrapper require the renamed script, or I need to modify the contents of the script itself.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? I'm not looking for code, just input and opinions. I would like to get a decent base so
I can expand this to handle other types of system init scripts ( I believe RH doesn't use start-stop-daemon like debian does,
etc.. ) before I release on rubyforge. Thanks,

Zach