On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Matt <matt / greenviolet.net> writes:
>
> > not ok system 7 -- /home/lewellyn/ruby-1.6.4/sample/test.rb:986
> > test failed
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > $ ./miniruby -x script_tmp -zzz=555
> > $ ./miniruby -x -v script_tmp -zzz=555
> > ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i386-freebsdelf3.3]
> > 555$
>
> I suspect you've got some problem with either -x or with your shell
> outputting a blank line when it starts up a subshell. Either way, I'd
> guess that you've spent enough time tracking this one down.
>
> My advice: install it. You'll probably never use -x. And it it is a
> problem with your shell, you'll come across it when you first code up
> a `` example, and then it'll be easy to find (because it will be your
> code that provokes the problem).

I'm going to install it, but I don't think it's my shell. I've tried it with sh, csh, tcsh, bash, esh, ksh, and zsh. (I tried everything in /etc/shells...) An interesting thing to note is that if I leave out -z="555", I get nil from all the shells. It looks like some sort of ARGV issue. Maybe it's freebsd's fault. Maybe not. I had suspected as much by the -v making it work, but didn't think to test it.

Maybe we can find a fix for this later, and I hope nothing else breaks... ;)

--Matt

P.S. I'm always this disturbed by a 'make test' failure... ;)