> Ok, factor of 10 faster, and more Ruby like, much and many Thanks!
> Others, any comments on the block slow down?
> AB

I mis-spoke.  Not a factor of 10 faster, just marginally.  I had
"wordlist" in my directory as a list of the unique 10 letter words.
I do like the code better still, but with out the block, it's still much
faster.  Also using uniq! rather than size is quicker than taking the
size twice.

My current fastest script:

f= File.open("./words")
begin
  while w = f.gets
    puts w if w.size == 11 && w.split(//).uniq! == nil
  end
rescue EOFError
  f.close
end

Not measurably faster than the first one, but seems better and more Ruby
like to me.