Quick recap:
So, I'm trying to compile Ruby 1.6.4 under $HOME. It's not working.

I'm using "./configure --prefix=$HOME", which seems to return fine. As does 'make'. I'm having problems with 'make test'. I'm kinda leery about doing 'make install' if 'make test' is failing...

I've modified sample/test.rb to add a line before 985, so 985 reads:

985 $stderr.puts `./miniruby -x script_tmp -zzz=555`.inspect

and the rest of the file is pushed one line. (This was suggested by Dave Thomas)

Now, I get the following:

$ make test
ar rcu libruby.a array.o  bignum.o  class.o  compar.o  dir.o  dln.o  enum.o  error.o  eval.o  file.o  gc.o  hash.o  inits.o  io.o  marshal.o  math.o  numeric.o  object.o  pack.o  parse.o  process.o  prec.o  random.o  range.o  re.o  regex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o  struct.o  time.o  util.o  variable.o  version.o   dmyext.o
gcc -O6 -I/home/lewellyn/include -rdynamic main.o dmyext.o libruby.a -lcrypt -lxpg4 -lm -L/home/lewellyn/lib   -o miniruby
""
not ok system 7 -- /home/lewellyn/ruby-1.6.4/sample/test.rb:986
test failed
*** Error code 1

Stop.
$ ./miniruby -x script_tmp -zzz=555
$ ./miniruby -x -v script_tmp -zzz=555
ruby 1.6.4 (2001-06-04) [i386-freebsdelf3.3]
555$

Where the "" in 'make test' is the output from line 985. The failure on line 986 is really on line 985 if you're looking in virgin source. I snipped script_tmp from sample/test.rb.

What else? Oh. I'm running ksh on FreeBSD 3.3. I don't have root, so cannot compile the /usr/ports/ version (which is 1.4.0 anyway). I've tried on a fbsd 4.3 machine and it worked fine.

If there's any further information I can give, just ask. I'd really like to use Ruby for this project (as I've said before). I just am starting to have a hard time justifying all the time I'm spending trying to do it in Ruby instead of Perl. And I don't even have any (known) working code yet... :/

I'm even willing to take a binary tarball if someone has one that's configured to install under $HOME. (i.e. no hard coded paths to /usr/local, etc.)

Or am I just missing some patches I can pick up somewhere that may correct this?

Thanks again for your troubles,

--Matt

P.S. I'm still looking for a more comprehensive CGI guide than the one in Programming Ruby. I need to get the web interface up first now so I can buy time to figure out how to do a good CLUI in Ruby. I only get one try with that, but I can continually modify the web interface. Thanks.