Do it in a thread seems like the simplest solution but I don't know if
it works in this setup with Rails and SCGI (Rails may be performing
clean up on resources that the thread uses when the request returns
while the thread is still running)

I just want to be able to invoke the external script in an async manner
(passing along a parameter as well somehow) and also so that it doesn't
interfere with Rails way of doing threads (or not doing threads...).

Thanks for the answer.

/Marcus