On Mar 8, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Dominik Bathon wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:56:53 +0100, <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi --
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, itsme213 wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't hold my breath for := or equivalent :-)
>>
>> I have to say, I've been wondering for many years... is self.x = 1
>> really *that* bad?  It just seems like such a  minor thing to me.  I
>> certainly wouldn't want to see new punctuation introduced just to
>> avoid it.
>
> How about allowing
>
> .attr = val
>
> as a shortcut for
>
> self.attr = val
>
> It's no "new" punctuation and I can't see any ambiguities with
> current ruby syntax (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Dominik

Hmmmmmm, It's shorter than self.attr, but on the other hand it's
uglier IMO. One question I would have to wonder is:

self.method( ) # definitely not private
method( ) # definitely private
self.x = y # could be public or private
.x # probably(?) not private ???

Oh wait  I take the whole thing back, naked method( ) could be public
too. I guess throwing .x  in there doesn't make the visibility any
more confusing