On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Une b?vue wrote:
> Dave Howell <groups / grandfenwick.net> wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem. Somebody told me to use DarwinPorts, but
>> happily, I didn't take their advice. The last thing I needed was yet
>> another install of Ruby in yet another location. I already had too
>> many
>> installs as it was! {chuckle}
>
> i agree very much with you, the ruby Darwinports install is worst than
> the "hand made".
>
> the /opt/local/bin/gem is unable to find iconv (re-installed by dp)
> and
> then fails to install ruby-libxml...
>
> generally i avoid using dp nor fink...

The DP ruby applies several patches to ruby so you get a full working
install. If you are having trouble installing ruby-libxml through
rubygems, than download the tar.gz package, and run extconf with the
--with-iconv-dir=/usr option, or you can wait until darwinports
accepts my Portfile for libxml-ruby. Managing packages without the
use of a package manager is a pain in the ass.

-- Daniel