John N. Alegre <info / johnalegre.net> wrote:

> Do you use any other ports?  How many?

no, only those related to ruby.

> /opt/local is ONLY used by DP so you have the option of blowing
> away /opt/local (sudo rm -rf /opt/local) reinstalling ports and then
> reinstalling any ports you use.

yes i know.

> On the issue of your scripts still finding /usr/bin/ruby, it is necessary to
> put in your .pofile in your home

i think you mean .profile ?
-------------------^-----

or, does exist a .portfile file ?
--------------------^^----

i think this has been done automatically by the Darwinports pkg :
> cat .profile
#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.dpsaved
# Setting the path for DarwinPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

> directrory "export
> PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$path"
> This will make ports found first.  If you use fink too do this AFTER you
> call the fink script.

no i don't use fink.

BUT, i wonder about the useness of .profile, is this used by XCode ?
i don't think so.
also, i'm using zsh instead of bash as a shell.
my $PATH is obviously starting by /opt/local/bin :
> echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/
usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/Users/yvon/bin:/Developer/qt/bin:/usr/local/pgs
ql/bin:/Users/yvon/bin/groovy/bin

my ruby scripts does have a shebang like that :

#!/usr/bin/env ruby -w

then, when launching a ruby script from Terminal i get the right ruby
according to the $PATH

all of those scripts are working correctly, from Terminal.

again, i don't think XCode nor RubyCocoa use this way to find ruby (thru
$PATH)

Jonathan Paisley (on RubyCocoa-talk mail-list) said something like "ruby
cocoa don't use /opt/local/bin/ruby" it finds that by $LOAD_PATH, which
is correct.

Finally may be it is MY way to print-out which ruby is in under use
being WRONG (from XCode /RubyCocoa) :
  which_ruby=`which ruby `.chomp
  p "#{which_ruby}"
  p `#{which_ruby} --version`
  p $LOAD_PATH

because i don't know, in the XCpde/RubyCocoa context, what's the SHELL
in use (i've set the $SHELL to /usr/local/bin/zsh.

to finish with, adding this line (after p $LOAD_PATH) in my rb_main.rb :
p `ruby --version`
i get :
"ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]\n"

now, i'll try, before (re)+ installing ruby and co, try a libxml binder
install by gem.
--
une bue