I've learned that in 1.8 eval is scoped like a block.. I'm wondering how
I might get around that?

For a little background, here's what I'm working on.  Essentially an erb
script of Ruby examples, that lists code and output neatly.  It's
basically similar to a non-interactive version of why's try ruby - well,
in some ways.  I think...  :)

Anyway, here's the shell of the script which demonstrates my problem, in
case I haven't explained myself clearly enough:

<%
require 'syntax/convertors/html'
include ERB::Util

def output(code)
    result = eval(code)
    if result
       result.to_s
    else
       "nil"

# would be nice to pass this an array
# of strings to be eval'd in sequence too
def ruby(code)
    convertor = Syntax::Convertors::HTML.for_syntax "ruby"
    "<div class=\"examplelist\">" +
    "<div class=\"example\">" +
    "<div class=\"code\">" +
    convertor.convert( code.gsub(/\t/,"  ") ) +
    "</div>" +
    "<div class=\"output\">" +
    h(output(code)) +
    "</div>" +
    "</div>"
end
%>

<head>
</head>

<%= ruby( <<EOS
a = 1 + 2
EOS
) %>

<%= ruby( <<EOS
a	# undefined because in 1.8 eval is scoped like blocks
EOS
) %>

Thanks,
Steve