On Mar 5, 2006, at 10:39 PM, superN00b wrote:

> Logan Capaldo wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2006, at 9:44 PM, superN00b wrote:
>>
>>> the old one.
>>>

>> Assuming that ruby is installed in /usr/local have your .login file
>> or .bashrc  have the following line:
>>
>> PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
>
> Sorry! Where can I find these files? I can change them with vi, right?
>
> --

You can change them with vi.  if your shell is bash you need to add
the above line
to the end of one of the following files;
~/.bashrc
~/.bash_login
~/.bash_profile
~/.profile

I would suggest ~/.bashrc

So at your shell prompt type:
vi ~/.bashrc
and add the lines:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export PATH

to the end of  this file. You will need to open a new terminal window
for these changes to take effect. Then to be sure it worked type:
ruby -v
And hopefully you should see the 1.8 version of ruby