Servando Garcia wrote:
> would it be safe to say that I can use symbols in the same manner as a
> defined variable in c++
>
> define n 9
> void main()
> {
> for (index=0; while index < n,index++)
>    print index
> while
> }

Not really. In C++ you're assigning a symbolic name to a number. You
pick the name and you pick the number. In Ruby, all you do is pick the
name. Ruby picks a number to assign to it. You don't get to choose, and
you don't even get to find out what the number is (at least, without a
lot of poking around in Ruby internals). Ruby guarantees you that no
matter where and when you use the symbol in your program, the symbol
will refer to the identical number. That's all there is to symbols.