This reply is only marginally related to your post, but I couldn't help but
notice the wide variety of interesting ideas.  I suspect that everyone
requested a project closely related to their own interests and needs.  The
current documentation, especially for Ruby, is so lacking that most users are
relying heavily on sample code.  Which is OK, I personally prefer it.

I suggest that, as each of us gets anything working, we make it available to
others who may be interested.  Even if it is not particularly elegant or well
written, it may serve a useful purpose by shortcutting someone elses trial
and error education.

I have been working on a table editor:  a sort of megawidget for displaying
and editing the contents of a table, such as might be required in a database
app.  It  utilizes a variety of simple widgets and may save another newbie,
like myself, some time;  even if the code itself is not worthy of emulation.
Rather than crap up the list with attachments, I invite anyone who is
interested to email me and I will send it to you.  I am also looking for
anything other Ruby users may be willing to share.

Albert