>Ive tried Radrails which seems very buggy and poorly designed.

RadRails is based on Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) - it's a Java
code base and if you're not used to Java apps in general, Eclipse (Java)
IDE or prior to that VisualAge, then it can certainly be a bit wierd

>I use Zend Studio for my php developement and would like something similar
>with autocompletion, linking to methods in other files etc...

vim, emacs, TextMate (OSX only), Scite.  You don't *need* an IDE to
actually program in Ruby (or indeed in any language), sure it's nice to
be able to press a '.' and have a list of methods pop up, but it's not
too much of a chore to read the RDoc, use ri or read the docs when you
want to learn something.

All the developers here (at work) would be lost without an IDE, it's
cultural and perhaps generational? - it's a bad way to be as you can't
be productive when you go on site and have nothing but vi over a vpn
connection.  I'd recommend sticking with the most basic editor (syntax
highlighting etc) and learning through the docs over an IDE, you'll also
appreciate the command line tools that are provided more that way.

2c

Kev