Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Jeff Cohen <cohen.jeff / gmail.com> writes:
>
>> causing anyone else to lose revenue, then it's probably fair use.
> Now, let's consider screen-scraping really is "quoting".  With proper
> attribution, that's fair use... IANAL.

Um, I don't know about that, actually.  You have to make sure you're not
taking money away from the original publisher.

For example, I could easily write a site which lets you type a google
search into a text box.  I could make the google http get call myself,
scrape the html, and then present the results *without* all of the ads
that usually appear in the right-hand margin.

Even if I say at the top, "Results provided by Google", do you think
it's ok for me to do that?  I'm using Google's hard work for my benefit
*and* they would lose money because of it.

One reason I decided not to have ads on my hockey site
(www.hawksfans.com) is because I'm scraping RSS feeds, and even though
everything is clearly attributed with a link back to the original
articles, I just wanted to be on the safe side.

By the way, I really do think most of us doing html scrapes are doing it
fairly... my apologies if I took us too far off-topic. :-)

Jeff
www.softiesonrails.com