Chris,

Ruby derives the != operator from the == operator. You can't define
them separately.

But, more to the point, can you give some more details on what you're
testing for equality/inequality? I'm fascinated to know what sort of
beast can be checked for inequality faster than for equality.

Cheers,

Pete Yandell