Charlie Bowman wrote:
> I guess I am being a little picky.  ruby and rails both are the best at
> what they do and it's hard to watch it fall short ( in my very picky
> eyes ) in this one area.  I am going to work on adding a plugin to rails
> that will fix the nil problem.  At least then I won't have to call a
> helper method, rescue nil, or create an empty object just to display a
> view.  This has been a great discussion! It's too bad that it wasn't on
> the rails list...
>

>>> Something just doesn't feel right about creating an object just to
>>> say that it's empty.  I guess I should ask this on the rails list,
>>> but I like this list much better :) , Is is possible to add methods
>>> to the nil class in only the views?  If so, that would be awsome!
>>>
>> I suppose you could engineer a way to do that, but it sounds awfully
>> fragile, and like an awful lot of trouble to go to.  I'd rather
>> normalize the data to an array (or whatever) and then just let each
>> array take care of itself.
>>

>> David
>>

> Charlie Bowman
> http://www.recentrambles.com

You know, I don't much monitor the rails list but I think that maybe
this is something that you would want to run by those folks before you
make any big design decisions.  The folks over there really do spend a
lot of time on rails-specific issues and you'll probably get more
discussion over there if not better.  I'd be curious to hear what they'd
say about this myself since I've been where (I suspect) you are before.

Regards,
Matthew