On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:23:08AM +0900, Greg Johnson wrote:
} I'm new to RUBY, but am familar with other scripting languages, PHP,
} Perl, Wscript, etc.   I'd like to be able to run items from the shell
} such as ls -l > dirlisting.txt.  Just an example.  Can I do this?
}
} I would have just used the search on these forums, but unfortuantely
} when I click Search I get "The page cannot be found".   Hope they can
} get this fixed so I won't have to ask every little question.

There are two ways. One way:

file_list = `ls -l`.scan(/^.*$/)[1..-1]
file_list.each { |line|
  puts "permissions for #{line[49..-1]} are #{line[1..9]}"
}

The other way:

system('ls -l > dirlisting.txt')

} Thanks in advance.