On Mar 1, 2006, at 4:51 AM, Michael Trier wrote:

> First, you'd probably get better response from the Rails list.
>
> Given that, I'll tell you my experience.  I've had a custom software
> development shop doing .NET work since the betas, so I'm pretty
> familiar with that platform.  I've only begun to get involved with
> Rails in the past months.  Given that and what I see from ASP.NET 2.0,
> my experience is that if you're given a choice, choose Rails.
>
> .NET 2.0 does have a lot of compelling features, and the IDE is
> without a doubt the best there is.  Still, all of that comes at a
> cost, and at the end of the day you're going to be far more productive
> in Rails than on a .NET platform. The elegance and productivity
> achievable in Rails is due in large part from the Ruby language.
> You're not going to be able to adequately duplicate that in another
> environment like .NET.

You've got to be kidding about VS.NET being the best IDE there is
(unless you mean for .NET development)!

> Every day that I work with .NET is generally a day spent in a lot of
> frustration.  I spend a good amount of time fighting against some of
> the "cool" features of the language and the IDE.  Microsoft sells the
> "drag-and-drop" features of the platform, but noone (i know anyway)
> writes applications that way.  At least not on an enterprise level.

So maybe you were kidding. ;-)

Everyone I know who has experience in multiple environments with
multiple tools has said VS.NET is far from the best IDE there is, and
I agree more each day I use it. (I really miss IDEA [http://
www.jetbrains.com]). On the contrary, I haven't heard or read about
such experiences working with Ruby on Rails. (Maybe I should follow
the Rails list closer, though). Strongly consider Rails.

Craig