ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>
>> Eric Hodel wrote:
>>> DRb uses TCP by default.  It can also use unix domain sockets, UDP, or
>>> you could write your own protocol.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a working example of drb over UDP sockets? There
>> doesn't seem to be any support in the 1.8.4 stdlib, but maybe there is
>> some other library you have to add?
>
> what are you trying to do?  i think i'd be quite interested too.  didn't
> romp
> use udp?
>
>   http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/romp/

No particular use right now. A few years ago I read that it was
possible, and I *think* there were files in the stdlib to support it,
but I couldn't get them to work. Now I don't see anything in there
relevant to udp.

DRb over UDP might be useful for projects where I work. We already use
UDP heavily, for vehicle-to-infrastructure  (and v2v) wireless, so time
in range is very constrained, especially at high vehicle speeds, or in
safety critical situations. Broadcast UDP beats UDP (no DHCP time) and
UDP beats TCP (no handshake). The channel is inherently unreliable, so
the extra cost of TCP doesn't buy much.

Even if DRb over UDP works, it would probably take some tweaking to get
it to work with broadcast UDP (using some kind of unique session key for
addressing, as we do now for our air protocols), in those cases where
static IP is not possible.

For most of our protocols, DRb simply won't be acceptable because it
would force ruby on everyone who wants to talk over the network. It
might be ok for some debugging/monitoring code, though.