On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Bill Atkins wrote:

> Jim Weirich <jim / weirichhouse.org> writes:
>
>> Bill Atkins wrote:
>>> Here are some issues I've noticed with RubyGems' user interface:
>>>
>>>    - Why do I have to confirm each _required_ dependency?  What
>>> chance
>>>      is there of leaving off a required dependency and still
>>> having a
>>>      functioning install?
>>
>> Quite good if you've installed some software as non-gems.  That being
>> said, it is probably an edge case and you make a good point.
>
> Maybe there could be a distinction between required dependencies and
> suggested packages, i.e. dependencies would be absolutely necessary
> for a gem to function but suggested packages can be installed or not,
> at the user's discretion, without affecting the package's basic
> functionality; suggested packages woudl then be treated as
> "required dependencies" currently are.

I would love this feature.  HighLine prefers termios, but it has a
fallback hand-rolled input method it will default to.  Unfortunately,
I can't make termios a requirement because of Windows.

It would also be cool for projects that prefer FasterCSV, but that
will settle for CSV.

James Edward Gray II