Looks like this has recently been discussed on ruby-core...

start of thread
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/6828

mention of dropping headers which may appear multiple times
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/6858

I don't see that anything has been committed to CVS since... though I
could be wrong.

-A