On 2/27/06, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+ruby / anthropohedron.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:12:22AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> } Someone needs to make a "C++ for Ruby programmers" book.  I'm getting
> } assigned to work on a C++ project now and it's making me cry.  Not
> } only have I forgotten all of the C++ that I used to know, I actually
> } have to compile stuff!
> }
> } I guess I should get more experienced in C++, as variety is good.  But
> } it's still painful.
>
> Think of the compiler as the interpreter, and templates as duck-typed Ruby.
> Do as much as you can with meta-programming, since it should be comfortable
> from a Ruby background. The rest... the rest is just syntax.
>
> } Joe
> --Greg

1.  Templates (that aren't in the STL) scare me.
2.  I've looked at the source code for the Boost library and ran away screaming.
3.  If I did write code like that, then not many people in my group
would be able to easily grok my code.  Perhaps they'll just need to
bone up on the newest C++ stuff and read the requisite 8 books before
touching my code.