Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> Someone needs to make a "C++ for Ruby programmers" book.  I'm getting
> assigned to work on a C++ project now and it's making me cry.  Not
> only have I forgotten all of the C++ that I used to know, I actually
> have to compile stuff!
>
> I guess I should get more experienced in C++, as variety is good.  But
> it's still painful.

I love the C++ programming language.  I'm not going to compare it to
other languages (and thereby risk jihad), but there is a part of me that
will always consider C++ the One True Language.  It is extraordinarily
verbose, and the syntax, uh, leaves something to be desired, but C++
offers remarkably powerful facilities at both the lowest and the most
abstract levels.  It has fantastic support for both static and dynamic
techniques, and a well-tuned C++ program can have mind-blowingly great
performance without sacrificing conceptual simplicity.

If you have any trouble at all, surf on over to comp.lang.c++.moderated.
  You may be as amazed as I always am at the brilliance of many of the
contributors.  Wear your thick skin, though; the conversation tends to
be a little harsher there than in the dynamic language groups. :)