I bought Programming Ruby a number of months back and finally have an opportunity to try out Ruby. However, I can't get it to build. Actually, that's not quite accurate. It builds fine. It won't pass 'make test'.

I am building on FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE and get the following output during a make test of 1.6.4:

gcc -O6 -rdynamic main.o dmyext.o libruby.a -lcrypt -lxpg4 -lm   -o miniruby
not ok system 7 -- /home/lewellyn/ruby-1.6.4/sample/test.rb:985
test failed
*** Error code 1

Stop.
$

Where can i find out what I did wrong? FWIW, I ran "./configure --prefix=$HOME" followed by a make and "make test".

If you need other specifics, feel free to ask.

BTW, I'm going to be using as my learning experience a CGI that reads and modifies a flat-file database. Are there any good Ruby CGI tutorials out there? Programming Ruby is a little short on that front.

Thanks in advance,

--Matt