A> I do not know how Yukihiru Matsumoto implemented rb_call_super and
A> rb_funcall. I know that calling a method of prior-known ID can and
A> should be implemented shorter and faster :)

 You have not understood.

 ruby is written in C, the extension is written in C and has access to most
 of the interface of ruby.

 This mean that you can write a C extension which is as fast as ruby
 (because you have access to the interface of ruby).

 You can still write in your extension

  rb_eval_string("A.new.toto");

 but you have always the possibility to write something as fast as ruby.

Guy Decoux