>Write a Ruby program such that given a certain argument to the program it
>will return the current temperature of that location.  People living in
>the United States may be interested in temperature by ZIP code:
>
>         $ ruby current_temp.rb 47201

I've been lurking for a bit over 2 months as I've been reading
here and there about Ruby.

Anyway my first quiz submission (which is also my second Ruby script):

require 'net/http'
require 'rexml/document'

zip = ARGV[0].to_s

if zip.length > 0 then
   h = Net::HTTP.new('rss.weather.com', 80)
   resp, data = h.get('/weather/rss/local/'+zip, nil)

   doc = REXML::Document.new data
   doc.elements.each('rss/channel/item/title') { |element|
     if element.text[0,7] == 'Current' then
       puts element.text
       desc = element.get_elements('../description').to_s.strip
       puts desc.slice(22,desc.length-57).sub('°', 'degrees')
     end
     }
else
   puts 'Need a ZIP code as a command line parameter.'
end