On 2/25/06, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+ruby / anthropohedron.net> wrote:> 1) Logo as a preteen, or AWK and/or Bourne shell scripting at any age> 2) C (second procedural language)> 3) Ruby, Python, Java, or C# (first OOP language)
No way.  :)  Ruby before C, any day.  It's really not an issue of"procedural is easier than OOP".  You can do procedural Ruby, and it'sso so so so so much easier.  The aspiring programmer will be able todo so much more after their first half-hour lesson.  This ismotivating.  A motivated student learns faster, retains more (longer),and most importantly, is less likely to quit!  (You wouldn't believehow often I hear people saying, "I've tried to learn to program overand over again, but never got into it... until Ruby!")

> For someone who is starting out with no programming experience, I consider> Why's Poignant Guide to be the best introductory Ruby text out there. Yes,> really. It introduces concepts gently and humorously.
GIANT HONKING DISCLAIMER:
I have written a tutorial, and recently a book, lovingly andpainstakingly built over the last three years, aimed at teachingprogramming, using Ruby, to non-programmers.  So I'm totally,hopelessly biased here...
And I'd also like to say that I *absolutely love* the Poignant Guideand, as a programmer, I'd much rather read it than my own writings. Chunky!  Bacon!  (Seriously.  Chunky bacon.)  How can one *not* fallin love with Why instantly?  I have personally had an asthma attackfrom laughing too hard reading his sidebar dissing asthmatics.  Hisinsight and sensitivity were... (must not say breath-taking....resist...) um... good.
I totally and sincerely believe that the world is a better, brighter,more love-filled place now that the Poignant Guide is in it.  I do.
However, having said that, I *really* don't think that the PoignantGuide is the way for a non-programmer to learn programming.  Do youpersonally know of any non-programmers learning to program fromreading it?
I mean, I feel bad saying that... dude, I love it, too!  But, for allit is, I just don't honestly believe that it meets thenon-programmer's needs.
But as I mentioned, I'm so hopelessly and completely biased... youshould probably take everything I say with 200 parts salt, 1 partChris.
:)
Chris