------art_3370_5453936.1140803050797

2006/2/23, woodyee <wood_yee12 / hotmail.com>:

> Hi! I'm interested in getting opinions on Ruby as a first language. For
> example, how it compares to python/perl/basic/etc as a first language.
> My goals are to learn the basics of a language, then delve into network
> programming,  and then learn how to interact with the operating system
> programaticallly. Will Ruby help me achieve this goal? Will Ruby enable
> me to transition to other languages (ex., C/Assembly/etc)? Thanks in
> advance!
>
> WY

besides Ti-BASIC (i'd say that doesn't count), Ruby is my first language,
and i think that's just fine. I had to learn Java at school, and i'm very
annoyed by it's inconvenience and the fact that not everything is an object
(;-)) so i'm happy that i learned Ruby first, because i think i wouldn't
understand the OO-principle this well, if i would have learned Java first..
but that's just my opinion/vision..
Dirk.

------art_3370_5453936.1140803050797--