James Gray wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Rob wrote:
>
>> Here is the problem.  With C or even C++ I can learn a few basic
>> conditional statements, variable declarations, etc. and I can write
>> just
>> about any program.  Sure, it will be long and inefficient, but at
>> least
>> I can write it without knowing any more about the language.  In Ruby,
>> you can't do that.  The key to learning Ruby is learning the numerous
>> methods that come with each class.
>
> I'm not seeing that.  Ruby supports pretty much the same constructs
> and even index access to Arrays.  Iterators are a lot sexier, but if
> you want to walk everything by index knock yourself out.  If you
> don't know the helper methods, you can always roll your own code.
>
> That doesn't make sense to me.
>
> James Edward Gray II

Sure, you can do that stuff, but most of the existing documentation
focuses on the sexy aspects of Ruby.  I don't think it means much to a
novice programmer to write some ultra-powerful statement consisting of
one or two lines of code.  It's easier to follow something that is three
times as long and more verbose.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Ruby.  It's just that as a mediocre
programmer, I found it very difficult to learn because I spent too much
time looking for certain methods in the Ruby book.  Sometimes it is
easier for beginners to move forward when they don't have 10 different
options for how to do something.