On 2/23/06, woodyee <wood_yee12 / hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm interested in getting opinions on Ruby as a first language. For
> example, how it compares to python/perl/basic/etc as a first language.
> My goals are to learn the basics of a language, then delve into network
> programming,  and then learn how to interact with the operating system
> programaticallly. Will Ruby help me achieve this goal? Will Ruby enable
> me to transition to other languages (ex., C/Assembly/etc)? Thanks in
> advance!

Harvard is teaching Ruby and C in their introduction to CS, and several
other schools are starting to use Ruby.   (Take a look at
http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/2006/02/ruby_at_school.html for
a bit more info -- including a URL)

For CS heavy programs it looks like Ruby is a good member of the
first set of languages.  For more vocational programs it might be a
good first language.  That's likely an important distinction.

From my perspective (I'm teaching my 11 yo son about programming
with Ruby), Ruby makes sense as a first language because it allows
nearly instant gratification, encourages good habits, and provides a
good bridge to other things.

--
thanks,
-pate