"jansenh" <henning.jansen / gmail.com> writes:

> Hi group. More newbie stuff...
>
> I have the above mentioned problem - ruport fails while installing from
> gem.... ruby(1.8.3/ubuntu) says  "no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc". I
> have tried to gem rdoc as well, --remote....  Then gem says: "could not
> find rdoc in repository".
>
> rdoc appears to be the problem, not ruport itself
>
> So far I have :
> - apt-get installed ruby-1.8.3
> - manually installed rubygems-0.8.11.tgz
> - gem install rubygems-update
>
> and my gem is (gem -v) 0.8.11
>
> HELP!

Unfortunately, Debian's distribution of ruby kinda sucks.  What
they've done is taken the ruby source -- that thing usually accepted
as "standard ruby" -- and chopped it up into nearly 30 packages.
You've installed only one: ruby.  There's been much discussion/cursing
about this here before.  I recommend installing all these packages to
save you further grief down the line.

To find them, install the grep-dctrl package and do:

  grep-dctrl -s Binary ruby-defaults /var/lib/apt/lists/*Sources

(Note that for this to work, you'll need a deb-src line in
/etc/apt/sources.list .  e.g.:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Don't forget to run `apt-get update' if you add this line.)