Gregory Seidman wrote:
> Also, I want to mention that JavaScript is a rather nice language. Its
> primary failings are:
>
> 1) Minor implementation inconsistencies between browsers
> 2) Major API inconsistencies between browsers

Greg,
These two reasons are why I choose to hate javascript.  The reason for
the question though is that in this new era of "that's so ten minutes
ago", this old dog is starting to feel like a jack of all trades, but
master of none.  I long for a day when the tools settle down a bit and I
can learn just one syntax (Ruby looks like a good candidate) really well
and do lots of  neat stuff with it.

My interest in Ruby started when a colegue of mine started sending me
snippets of Ruby to explain an idea for implementing something at work
(which would, of course, have to be converted into quasi object oriented
C and then tested with a perl test framework).  That was mildly
entertaining, but now he's sending me stuff in Haskel!  That stuff will
eat your brain in a hurry.

The way things are going though, I'll have to deal with "Ruby++" long
before I ever feel that I've mastered Ruby.  Guess it's a sign of
getting old, but I'm getting sick and tired of learning new languages
every time I turn around.  One partial solution would be to be able to
do many different types of things with the same syntax.  Ruby is part of
the way there, with ways to do many server side things in Ruby, and also
ways to do real application programming in Ruby.  I just think it would
be cool if it went one more step to a seamless implementation of client
side embedded Ruby.

thanks,
jp