u235321044 / spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net  (Ronald Fischer) writes:

>> > I don't know how to install Ruby into my home directory. Looking
>> > at the Makefile, I thought that
>> >
>> >    make prefix=$HOME install
>> >
>> > should do the job, but make still tries to install into /usr/local
>> > (which fails because I don't have write-access there).
>
>> /configure --prefix=$HOME
>
> Thank you, this works.
>
> It would be great if this information could be put into the README.

The README says to run ./configure to generate the Makefile.
../configure --help tells you all the configure options.

The configure script, and its --help option, is standard for things
that use autoconf (lots of stuff in the free software world).  I guess
it couldn't hurt to mention --help in the README, though.