--b0bHyb0BmsSIM7d2

	What you're describing sounds awefully similar to the ports
system.  Are you a user of FreeBSD?  If not, I'd like to recommend that
you install a copy of BSD and play around with the ports tree.  Granted
it's not perfect, but it's still pretty cool and you could use it for
ideas for the base to your system.

	Let us know if you open a project for this at SF or startup any
mailing lists: I'd be interested in helping you develop this more.  -sc

> 1. Produce a file format that allows multiple pure-Ruby source files to be
> packaged together will additional information embedded, such as a name,
> description, author, version, category, etc.
>=20
> 2. Create a system to create, read, and, more importantly, transparently
> access code within these gem files.  Therefore Ruby code within a gem fil=
e can
> be used (i.e. required) without actually extracting the contents of the g=
em=20
> file.  True one-step installation.
>=20
> 3. Make the creation of gem files as easy as possible for developers.
>=20
> 4. Allow the sharing of these gem files through a peer-to-peer network (w=
ith
> appropriate security checking, etc.)
>=20
> 5. Allow for easy management of gems through command-line and other
> interfaces.

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--b0bHyb0BmsSIM7d2

--b0bHyb0BmsSIM7d2--
	What you're describing sounds awefully similar to the ports
system.  Are you a user of FreeBSD?  If not, I'd like to recommend that
you install a copy of BSD and play around with the ports tree.  Granted
it's not perfect, but it's still pretty cool and you could use it for
ideas for the base to your system.

	Let us know if you open a project for this at SF or startup any
mailing lists: I'd be interested in helping you develop this more.  -sc

> 1. Produce a file format that allows multiple pure-Ruby source files to be
> packaged together will additional information embedded, such as a name,
> description, author, version, category, etc.
>=20
> 2. Create a system to create, read, and, more importantly, transparently
> access code within these gem files.  Therefore Ruby code within a gem fil=
e can
> be used (i.e. required) without actually extracting the contents of the g=
em=20
> file.  True one-step installation.
>=20
> 3. Make the creation of gem files as easy as possible for developers.
>=20
> 4. Allow the sharing of these gem files through a peer-to-peer network (w=
ith
> appropriate security checking, etc.)
>=20
> 5. Allow for easy management of gems through command-line and other
> interfaces.

--=20
Sean Chittenden