Dave Howell wrote:

> I'm sure if I spent more time not trying to actually get work done, I
> could get that fixed, by asking questions here. But I have a copy of
> Pickaxe, so I just use that. If I have to spend time working on my car
> instead of driving to work, then my car isn't very good. If I have to
> spend time working on my computer instead of using it to get work done,
> then my computer's not very good. And if I have to spend time sending
> messages to Ruby-Talk trying to find out how to get Ruby to work instead
> of programming, then Ruby's not very good.

To be fair, though, most people have little trouble getting Ruby
installed and running.  I do not mean to belittle or discount your
experiences, but I've not had an issue with any release of Ruby when
packaged up as the "one-click" Windows installer (discounting preview
packages), nor have I had a problem installing final releases of Ruby
from source code on Linux.  I used to have routine errors installing
Rails from gems, but that's no longer an issue.

If you have a problem with getting Ruby up and running, post to this
list.  If asking for help here is not an attractive solution, then
indeed you are on your own.

> I also agree with you, Glenn, in that I don't think these problems are
> fundamental problems with Ruby itself, or its tools, or its community.
> The problem is with people who don't recognize or admit that these ARE
> problems, and would try to deny or excuse them. These issues can be, and
> are being, resolved, but only as long as they're recognized as issues
> that NEED to be resolved.

It isn't that people are busy denying that some people still have
problems, it's that people are just *busy*, period.

Drivers wanted.

--
James Britt

"You harmonize; then you customize."