On 2/16/06, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:> Alex Combas wrote:> ...> >> > I would prefer developers working on code and bug fixes as opposed to> > writing documentation ...>> ...>> > What ruby really needs is better documentation! (imo).>>> Who should write the docs, if not the people writing the code?>>
Linus has not written any documentation. Ok, bad example.
Developers are not always the best writers. Maybe Matz is aShakespear, I dunno, but it doesn't matter, what I'm trying to say isthat writing is a skill not all developers are good atso I would prefer them to spend their time doing (A) things they aregood at, or (B) thingsI am not good at.
So who writes the code? Newbies learning ruby systems. Writing will help themto learn, and it will further help other newbies because most likelymany of them will stumbleover similar areas and so sharing experience is very beneficial.
I'm not trying to say this should be the law, I actually think rubyhas a good working documentation system the way it is now. I think itcould do with a lot of cleaning though,not by developers who everything already makes perfect sense for, butby newbies whohave a fresh view and can see where things are not being presentedclearly enough.

just my $0.02
--Alex Combashttp://noodlejunkie.blogspot.com/