Glenn Smith wrote:
> This is quite a good article I just read via a link on artima (I think).
>
> http://www.pyrasun.com/mike/mt/archives/2005/01/09/20.57.06/
>
> I was just thinking as I read it that it has some parallels with how I see
> "the ruby community" from the perspective of an "outsider".

I tried reading it, but it went on and on, and seemed basically to
bemoan the Death by Committee of Groovy, a topic of only passing
interest to me.

What is the "this" you fear for Ruby?

> I won't elaborate too much, needless to say I just love Ruby, and wish I
> could use it in my day-to-day job (right now, any bl**dy programming would
> be good!!).  I've read quite a bit recently that "Ruby is the next Java",
> Java is dying etc. etc.  Well good on it.  And I think there are some
> exceptional people, many on this list, who do a damned good job for selfless
> reasons to make it available to others.

Quite true.

> It's just that, well, the actual Ruby exposure on the net is a bit weak, to
> somebody like me who doesn't have the time to read every mail on the mailing
> list.  Just simple things like a roadmap of what to expect from Ruby -

"What to expect"? Why?  Seriously.  Why not focus on what Ruby does
right now?   Unlike Groovy, it's been around for over 12 years.

People interested in the future of Ruby should join the ruby-core
mailing list.  Ruby's direction is not a spectator sport.

> what's in the latest release for example, when's the next one, and what's
> planned for 1.9? When exactly IS Rite going to be available.  Is the new
> super-duper website ever going to be finished?

Most of this info is available on ruby-lang.org, and in the release
notes and change logs.  As for the "super-duper website", well, it will
be done when it's done.  Same for Rite.

Ruby work gets done on a Ruby-time schedule.  Many devoted volunteers
giving up their time when they can.

"Drivers wanted", as they say.

--
James Britt